5 Reading Tips for Teens
Reading is one important way we make sense of the world around us, and process our lives and relationships. If you're a teen, here are some tips to get started on your reading adventure!
- Follow your interests. It's a big world of books out there. You're bound to find one that will speak to your deepest thoughts, let your imagination soar, or take your favourite hobby to a whole new level.
- Find a character or theme you can relate to or escape to. The first is a no-brainer, isn't it comforting to know that someone else is going through the same problems you face, and possibly making a bigger mess than you are? The second – escaping into another world and living vicariously through another character – has got to be one of reading's greatest pleasures!
- Is the book really better? There are so many movies based on books coming out these days, from comics, classics to thrillers. Read the book before or after the movie – and find out for yourself which is better!
- Read wherever and whenever it suits you. Did we mention that books make a wonderful distraction on a long and dreary commute? Just don't forget to get off at your stop.
- Get started! Here are Recommended Reads for Teens by Librarians. You'll find award-winning reads as well as special selections like Fractured Fairy Tales and Books that Defy Genres Have fun exploring!
Further Reading for Teens
Check out this cool poster on "The Rights of the Reader" by Daniel Pennac (illustrated by Quentin Blake).